After graduation in 1982, I was trained both abroad and in the UK. I have been a consultant in the UK since the year 2000. And I have been in my current post at Sheffield Teaching Hospitals in Sheffield, UK since 2002. I gained higher training in advanced laparoscopic and hysteroscopic surgery both in the UK and France.
I have a special interest in minimal access surgery, pelvic floor repair and psycho-sexual problems.
My dedicated years of training Specialist Registrar doctors (SpRs) in perineal trauma management has significantly resulted in reduction of the incidence, morbidity and litigations from this condition. I was nominated by Yorkshire Deanery to provide training to all SpRs in the Trent Region.
I have been research active and have published more than 30 articles and research papers in international journals. I have peer reviewed papers and presented at national and international meetings. I act as a peer reviewer for more than twenty international journals. And I have reviewed more than 70 research articles. I am currently a member of the editorial board of the Journal of Acute Disease. I also enjoy holding the position of Secretary General for British Society of Psychosomatic Obstetrics and Gynaecology.
High Profile Cases
I have been involved in some high profile cases in the past years. As reported in The Star (March 2013), I was the consultant obstetrician and gynaecologist for a pregnant woman who had a rare cervical tumour. The tumour was the size of a grapefruit. I oversaw the operation and we were able to safely deliver the baby. Later I also removed the fibroid while preserving the mother’s future fertility.
Additionally, as reported in the Daily Mail (May 2012), I was the consulting gynaecologist for a woman who had a 7 pound kidney tumour during her pregnancy. The tumour was heavier than her 6.4 pound baby girl who was delivered safely. The tumour was later removed.
Current and Past Responsibilities – Remon Keriakos
- Audit Lead
- Appraiser for Revalidation of Consultants
- Honorary Senior Lecturer
- Member of Sheffield Teaching Hospital Clinical Effectiveness Committee
- Antibiotic Champion
- Member of the Trust Clinical Effectiveness Committee
- Member of the Trust Antibiotic Group
- Member of the Trust Clinical Audit Leads
- Secretary General for British Society of Psychosomatic Obstetrics Gynaecology and Andrology
- Director of Perineal Trauma Course
- Establisher of the Perineal Trauma Course in Qatar to train consultants abroad on management of perineal trauma
- Trainer in obstetric ultrasound for the last 10 years
- Postgraduate Education Coordinator for the North Trent Region for 5 years
- Specialty Training Committee (STC) for 5 years
- Healthcare Governance Group
- Basic Surgical Skill Course
- Medicines Management and Therapeutic Committee 2002 – 2005
- Examiner of Medical Students
Memberships – Remon Keriakos
- British Society of Gynaecological Endoscopy (BSGE)
- European Society Gynaecological Endoscopy (ESGE)
- British Society of Fetomaternal Medicine
- Royal College of Obstetricians and Gynaecologists (RCOG)
- Royal College of Obstetricians and Gynaecologists North of England Society
- British Medical Association
- British Society of Gynaecological Imaging (BSGI)
- British Society of Psychosomatic, Obstetrics, Gynaecology and Andrology (BSPOGA)
- British Society of Urogynaecology (BSUG)
- International Continence Society (ICS)
Peer Reviewer – Remon Keriakos
Acted as peer reviewer for more than 100 peer review articles for these international journals:
- Journal of Therapeutics and Clinical Risk Management
- International Journal of Women’s Health
- Journal of Obstetrics and Gynaecology
- Australian and New Zealand Journal of Obstetrics and Gynaecology
- BMJ Drug and Therapeutics Bulletin
- Archives of Gynaecology and Obstetrics
- NHS Clinical Skill Knowledge Summaries
- Indian Journal of Medical Science
- Independent Scientific reviewer for Sheffield Teaching Hospitals
- British Journal of Obstetrics and Gynaecology
- International Journal of Medical Case Reports
- International Journal of Gynaecology and Obstetrics
- Journal of Human Reproduction
- BMC Pregnancy and Childbirth
- Journal of Clinical Imaging Science
- Journal of Clinical Audit
- Journal of Psychosomatic Obstetrics & Gynecology
- OncoTargets and Therapy
- Herald Scholarly Open Access
Articles Contributed – Remon Keriakos
- Maher. M, Keriakos R.. Women’s Awareness of periconceptional Use of Folic Acid
- Clinical Medicine Insights: Women’s Health 2014, 7: 9-15
- R Keriakos. Chapter on Hypertensive disorder during pregnancy Antenatal Disorders for the MRCOG and Beyond, edited by Dilly Anumba and Shehnaaz Jivraj
- R. Keriakos , S. Sugumar & N. Hilal 2013. Instrumental vaginal delivery – back to basics. JOG ; 33:781-786
- Keriakos R, Maher M. 2013 . Management of Cervical Fibroid during the Reproductive Period. Case Reports in Obstetrics and Gynecology. Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 984030, 3 pages.
- Iruloh C , Keriakos R. , Smith D. J, Cleveland T. 2013. Renal angiomyolipoma and lymphangioleiomyomatosis in pregnancy. Journal od obstetrics & gynaecology; 33:542-546
- Keriakos R, Curry N. Causes of pelvic girdle pain and the prognostic factors for its recovery Journal Of Symptoms and Signs, 2013; 2(4) 253-258
- Uzoma A. & Keriakos R. 2013. Pregnancy management following bariatric surgery Journal of Obstetrics and Gynaecolgy, February 2013; 33: 109–114
- Keriakos R, Musgrave A. 2012. Vaginal Caesarean section during second stage delivery. Journal of Obstetrics and Gynaecolgy, 32(8):806-807
- R. Keriakos. 2012. Re: Jones C, Cameron M. 2012. Pelvic girdle pain during pregnancy and puerperium. Journal of Obstetrics and Gynaecology 32:607 – 608
- Remon Keriakos, Smriti Bhatta 2012 Update on surgical Intervention in Management of Non-Traumatic Major Postpartum Hemorrhage. US Obstetrics & Gynaecology, Volume 4, Issue 1, 59-64
- Keriakos R, Smriti Chaudhuri Bhatta SR. 2012. Operative intervention in the management of major post partum haemorrhage. Journal of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, January 2012; 32: 14–25
- Smriti Ray Chaudhuri Bhatta, Remon Keriakos. 2011. Review of recent literature on the mode of delivery for singleton vertex preterm babies. Journal of pregnancy open access journal. Volume 2011 (2011), Article ID 186560, 5 pages doi:10.1155/2011/186560
- Keriakos R, Bhatta S, Morris F, Mason S, Buckley S. 2011. Pelvic Girdle Pain during pregnancy and Puerperium. Journal of Obstetrics and Gynaecology 31 (7), 572-80 (Oct 2011)
- Morris F. Keriakos R, Mason S, Buckley S. 2011. Spontaneous Bilateral Femoral Neck Fracture in Young Primigravida. August 2011, Vol. 31, No. 6 , Pages 549-551
- Keriakos R, Smriti Ray Chaudhuri Bhatta. 2011. A Case series– Managing Major Postpartum haemorrhage Following Acute Uterine Inversion with Rusch Balloon Catheter. Journal of Case Reports in Critical Care, open access journal. Volume 2011 (2011), Article ID 541479, 3 pagesdoi:10.1155/2011/541479
- Moores KL, Keriakos RH, ANUMBA D, Conner ME, Lashen H Management challenges of a live 12-weeks Sub-hepatic intra-abdominal pregnancy. BJOG 2010,Volume 117, Issue 3, Page 365-368
- Keriakos R; B. Abdelmalek; L. Campbell .2009. Sheffield modified technique for external cephalic version. Journal of Obstetrics and
Gynaecology, 29 (5) Pages 384 – 387
- M. Ibrahim; R. Keriakos; M. Batwala . Placenta percreta 2008. Journal of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, Volume 28 (2): 238 – 239.
- A. Mukhopadhyay; R. Keriakos.2008Obstetric management and perinatal outcome of extreme prematurity: A retrospective study Journal of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, , 28(2):185-8.
- Keriakos R, Mukhopadhy. The use of Rusch Balloon Catheter for management of severe postpartum haemorrhage. Journal of obstetrics and gynaecology 2006; 26:335-338.
- Adjetey V, Keriakos RH, Nawar-Youseff M, Gagr N. Management of twin deliveries. retrospective observational study in a teaching hospital. J Obstet Gynecol 2006;2 (Suppl.1):S65.
- Keriakos R, Meteally M, Rosario D, Salim F. Acute non-infectious painful urinary tract conditions during pregnancy and puerperium. Journal of Obstetrics And gynaecology 2005; 25:422-426.
- Keriakos R, Sidra LM, Shayeb AG, Kumar N, Najia S. Rupture Renal Pelvicaliceal System during pregnancy. Journal of Obstetrics and Gynaecology 2005; 25:61-63.
- Khadra M, Keriakos R. Placenta Accreta Revisited. Journal of obstetrics and Gynaecology2002;22:689.
- Keriakos R, Zaklama M. The use of RUMI manipulator and Koh Colpotomizer for total laparoscopic hysterectomy. British Journal of Obstetrics and Gynaecology2000; 107: 274-277.
- Keriakos R, Aziz N, Patrick J, Zaklama M. Screening for Down’s Syndrome: experience of two district hospital having different screening strategies. Journal of Obstetrics and Gynaecology1999; 19: 15-19.
- Keriakos R, Robert K. Familial Mediterranean Fever during pregnancy. Journal of Obstetrics and Gynaecology1999; 19: 541-542.
- Keriakos R, Aziz N. Myotonic Dystrophy during pregnancy. Journal of Obstetrics and Gynaecology1999; 19: 71-73.
- Keriakos R, Goldthrop W. The use of Methotrexate in ectopic pregnancy with fetal cardiac activity. Journal of Obstetrics and Gynaecology1999; 19: 98-100.
- Keriakos R, Carswell W. Cervico-vaginal cyst following knife cone biopsies Journal of Obstetrics and Gynaecology1998; 18: 389.
- Keriakos R, Rahman NKM, Yates AJ. Epithelial ovarian tumour of borderline malignancy, unusual presentation. Journal of Obstetrics and Gynaecology1998; 18:390-391.
- Keriakos R. A typical Vulval Leiomyoma. Diagnostic Challenge. Journal of Obstetrics and Gynaecology1998; 18: 299-300.
- Keriakos R, Rahman KM, Yates AJ. Detached pelvic Leiomyoma of uncertain origin. Journal of Obstetrics and Gynaecology1998; 18: 301- 302.